Information for Healthcare Professionals
Learn more about this project, the team behind it and how you could go about creating webinars for your county.
About this project
A team of specialist gastroenterology community dietitians in Somerset have created Patient Webinars to help their patients gain the knowledge and understanding that they need to manage their illness.
We are lucky enough to be endorsed by the professional body that is The British Dietetic Association and work in partnership with the NHS.
If you want to find out more about how Patient Webinars has helped patients suffering with life long illnesses then check out our blog post below.
The wonder of webinars in helping patients
Marianne Williams, Specialist Gastroenterology Community Dietitian, explains how webinars have successfully helped patients gain the knowledge they need to manage their illness.
Here’s what our patients and practitioners have to say
“Very informative webinar. Was diagnosed with IBS by GP recently and have so far found the amount of conflicting stuff on the internet very confusing, so extremely useful to find an authoritative, trustworthy source providing thorough, implementable information.”
“I have found this an excellent resource and have already started recommending it to some of my patients.”
The impact patient webinars has had on the NHS
Webinars have resulted in a 44% drop in 1-1 referrals in to the specialist dietetic clinic in their first year of use.
Prior to the webinars 56% of patients have fair/good/excellent knowledge. After the webinar 95% had fair/good/excellent knowledge.
94% of patients said they were likely or very likely to recommend the IBS webinars.
77% of patients said that watching the webinars had improved their confidence in managing their IBS.
- NHSX Blueprint Benefits Case for Patient Webinars – A Guide for CCGs 2020
- NHSX Blueprint Benefits Case for Patient Webinars – Summary Sheet for CCGs 2020
- NHS Digital Framework for Adoption Paper – Guidance on setting up patient webinars
- Research Paper: Long‐term symptom severity in people with irritable bowel syndrome following dietetic treatment in primary care 2021
- Research Paper: Feasibility, acceptability and cost efficiency of using webinars to deliver first-line patient education for people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome as part of a dietetic-led gastroenterology service in primary care 2020
- Research paper – Somerset IBS Pathway for 1-1 Clinic – BMJ Frontline Gastroenterology
- Presentation: Patient Webinar Presentation Giving Outcome Data for National CCG Business Cases
- NICE: Quality and Productivity – Proven Case Study for 1-1 Clinic (Somerset)
Stay up to date on social
Follow us on Instagram and Twitter to keep updated with the latest webinars and tips to help you better understand your condition.